(OD) is a field of research, theory, and practice dedicated to expanding the knowledge and effectiveness of people to accomplish more successful organizational change and performance. Furthermore, Organization Development is an effort (1) planned, (2) organization-wide, and (3) managed from the top, to (4) increase organization effectiveness and health through (5) planned interventions in the organizations “processes,” using behavioral-science knowledge.
“OD is a field directed at interventions in the processes of human systems (formal and informal groups, organizations, communities, and societies) in order to increase their effectiveness and health using a variety of disciplines, principally applied behavioral sciences. OD requires practitioners to be conscious about the values guiding their practice and focuses on achieving its results through people.”
Arnold Minors, Arnold Minors & Associates, Toronto, Canada
“Organization Development is a body of knowledge and practice that enhances organizational performance and individual development, by increasing alignment among the various systems within the overall system. OD interventions are inclusive methodologies and approaches to strategic planning, organization design, leadership development, change management, performance management, coaching, diversity, team building, and work/life balance.”
Matt Minahan, MM & Associates, Silver Spring, Maryland
Lignum Institute consulting in this discipline offers the following to organizations:
- Change management — working with departments, committees and other groups to help them plan and implement significant changes in their organizations such as process management, culture development and leadership styles.
- Team based problem solving — helping a team identify a key issue, gather information about it, and outline decisions or action plans needed to address the issue.
- Talent Management — helping managers assess their department’s workforce so that the right people are in the right roles with the right set of skills at the right time. I see many organizations move or employ individuals who do not have the right skills for specific jobs and hoping they excel in their jobs, this never happens. In fact, you settle for mediocrity of output.
- Run effective Meeting through coherent facilitation — working with organizations to help them run effective meetings. In the Caribbean we see meetings run for hours averaging about 3 hours. This is ineffective and counter-productive. Management not being aware of the costs of such meetings.
- Team development — helping a team to develop its ability to work more effectively together. As corporations are moving to team based organizations, they must be aware the deployment of teams have to have cohesiveness for them to perform effectively and efficiently.
- Business Process Redesign — working with corporations to analysis their processes. BPM (Business Process Management) is analyzing the effective and efficient process methodology within the organization.